Sunday, September 29, 2019

GRL Spotlight: Maz Maddox


GayRomLit or as some refer to it as GRL truly is the must-attend event for people who create and celebrate LGBT romance. For those who are unfamiliar with what GRL is I can try and summarize it. Every year in October (this year it’s the 17th to the 20th with pre-events on the 16th) the LGBT community consisting of authors, narrators, readers, and professionals gather to share in their love of LGBT romance. There are signings, author lounges, many events, spotlights, it really is hours of fun.
The location changes every year and on the opening night of each year the spot for the next year  is announced. During this time at GRL there are two signings. One for Registered Authors and one for Featured Authors.
At these signings you can go to the authors’ tables, talk, have them sign swag they have, books you’ve brought, pick up pre-orders, and they will even sign something you brought from home.
Lounges are set up as well these are outside the signing times. Registered authors have one and featured have two lounges.
There will also be spotlights with readings, Q&A’s and so much more.
Now until October 14th Diverse Reader is spotlighting authors that will be at this years GRL. And if you want to know more about it simply head over to the site by clicking here:






 Where To Find Maz At The Event 



Thursday 10/17 - Author Signing

Friday 10/18 - Author Lounge @ 11:30

Saturday 10/19 - Once Upon a Time fun fair @ 3:30 (m/m madlibs!!)

I'm going to be bouncing around GRL all weekend. I plan on hitting as many panels as I can, going to all the parties, and would love to meet everyone!











I started going to GRL as a super fan. 

That was three freaking years ago, which doesn't seem the appropriate space of time in my head. I wasn't the type of person to drive 13 hours for an event, go alone into uncharted waters with full intentions of interacting with my favorite authors. I was petrified to say the least. I arrived in Denver for the 2016 GRL evening festivities after being in the car 13 hours. I was tired, nervous as hell and alone. 

Very, completely, awkwardly alone.

That lasted all of 2 minutes.

I was ushered to a table of women I'd never met before while they ate dinner, all sporting their GRL badges. I was wearing my cherry badge, which is a beacon to all that I was a newbie. I had never been so welcomed in my life. Not only did they make sure I got my badge, got fed and my drink tickets, they welcomed me into their discussion of favorite books. Not just any books, but ones that I adore beyond words: m/m books. 

I get to sit around with a bunch of amazing people talking about gay romance, steamy sex scenes and funny moments in a TJ Klune book? Um, yes, please!!

I knew then that GRL was something special, and the rest of the retreat didn't disappoint. Each year I've gone since has been a uniquely amazing trip. I've made life long friends (what's up, Carol!!) met my idol authors (Lucy, Sloane, Charlie, Jex, TJ, and many more), and friends I've only spoken to online (Kirt, Will & Jeff - I get to hug y'all again!!). 

This year, I'm going as an author. I'm going as a writer as well as a reader. This year, I get to meet my readers. I don't have words for that. I have plenty of happy tears, but no words. I get to stand as peers to the authors I love so much (but still continue to fan-girl, obviously). I don't know if I'm ready for all that, but I'm still going. "Stay afraid, but do it anyway."

GRL means so much to me -- as a fan and as a baby author. It's the place where I go to be with my tribe, the people I absolutely love. I cannot wait to see everyone again.

And I'd love to meet you, whoever is reading this rambling mess. If you see me, please come say hi. I want to meet all of you. Let's chat books!!

See you in October! 













Heartache & Hoofbeats - Stallion Ridge #1

























Claw Marks & Card Games - Stallion Ridge #2




























Suspects & Scales - Stallion Ridge #3
























Rocks & Railways - Stallion Ridge #4



























 Mimics & Mayhem - Stallion Ridge Novella (new release!)




















Maz Maddox is the odd lovechild between a unicorn, dinosaur and vampire. The outcome is a human-like figure who inherited aspects of all three.  She is a champion of logic and science, adores beauty and whimsy, and has a slight streak of darkness that dances the line of genius and insanity.

Residing in the wild land of cowboy boots and Shiner beer, Maz spends her time with her two dogs and a husband who she adores, and is constantly demanding that science gives her a pocket sized triceratops. The efforts of these demands have yet to be fulfilled.

When she’s not pining over the lack of chihuahua sized ornithischia, she’s a writer who loves crafting adventures tales sprinkled with humor, a hefty helping of romance, and topped with a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment