Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October Top Reads

I have to say this was VERY difficult! I read SO MANY amazing books in this past month picking just 5 was too hard... So I went a little over... AND STILL I had a rough time! So, they will be in November's Top Reads.

As the months grow cooler and we are thrust inside, reading becomes a way to pass time and stop of from going stir crazy. Hopefully this will help you select some great books to enjoy.

Here you go ... In NO particular order:

The Butterfly King by, Edmond Manning

Blurb:
Terrance Altham doesn’t know why he’s been arrested. He’s committed no crime and the cops aren’t talking. Sadly, the man sharing his holding cell talks too much. Known only as Ghost, he is a young grifter, apparently familiar enough with this police station to convince Terrance a break out is possible, and pushy enough to leave Terrance no choice but to follow Ghost into the underbelly of New York City.

Terrified by the unjust imprisonment and the possibility of a life behind bars, Terrance searches for proof of his innocence while Ghost seeks the elusive Butterfly King. But neither man seems in control of the weekend’s direction and the consequences of missteps are life-changing. As Ghost’s manipulations come to an explosive head, each man must decide amid danger and street violence what kind of man will triumph, lost or found?

Narrator Vin Vanbly (a.k.a Ghost) returns in the most revealing King Weekend yet, where he faces the dark side of his dangerous manipulations, and learns mistakes can be deadly. Vin must confront sinister dealings from his past—and a future promising disaster—as he waltzes Terrance across Manhattan in spring, searching for the elusive and charismatic, Butterfly King.


BUY ON AMAZON 

MY REVIEW:  

Vin Vanbly is everybody. I often find myself wondering what king is he? This is book 3 in The Lost and Found Series and Vin still has me captivated. Interestingly it was one line in this book that truly tethered our personalities. It was his confusion on the use of Former and Latter. I too am always perplexed by it. And in that one sentence I realized. VIN IS ALL! He is not one person but an amalgamation of many. How do you king a person like that? I don't know how Edmond Manning will do it. As I followed Terrance (The Butterfly King) and a younger Vin Vanbly I was once again whisked away to a world I wish was real... I hope it is. Because believing in that, believing we are all lost yet to be found is such a hopeful thing. This story, like all the others, had me beyond emotional because it truly touches your heart and soul. It's more than written, it's felt. Edmond has once again blown my mind.

 Bad Things by Varian Krylov


Blurb:
Xavier makes a lot of people nervous. The rest, he flat-out scares. More than his hulking, tattooed body, it's his predator's gaze that makes people feel vulnerable, as if he had the power to read their thoughts and see their soul. For his lovers, it's Xavier's ravenous appetite for all things carnal—for the taste of flesh under his tongue and the feel of a trembling body under his control, for whispered pleas and muffled cries—that makes him dangerous.

But recently, driven by a festering rage against the men who attacked his sister a decade ago, Xavier has developed a taste for a different kind of hunt and conquest: stalking men who do truly bad things and punishing the predators he sniffs out. The problem with vigilante justice, though, is sometimes the man in your trap is innocent.

Carson suspects he's playing a risky game with dangerous men. But the lies are convincing, especially when they're slipped to him among hundred dollar bills. He never guessed how big and dark the secret hidden under all the lies and money could be. And he has no idea he's not the predator, but the prey, until it's too late.

And you can't beg for mercy when there's a gag in your mouth.

But when Carson escapes from Xavier's trap, he's forced to accept that Xavier is far from his most dangerous enemy. Xavier may even hold the key to overcoming the painful past that has kept Carson prisoner for almost two decades.


 MY REVIEW:

I've started this review about 10 times desperate to get it right. I realize my book hang over will not do it justice. It's one of the best books I've ever read. I read Dangerously Happy which was Dario and Aiden's story and thought WOW no way can Xaviar's be better. I was so eager for his story though. I got it and read it and it consumed me. It's dark, passionate, suspenseful, sexy, gripping, exhausting, riveting, reviving, gritty... and so on and so on. It's everything EVERYTHING I long for in a book. You really HAVE TO I mean it HAVE to read it! A powerful tale!

BUY ON AMAZON 

Consent by AJ Rose

Blurb:
Content Warning: contains scenes of rape and graphic violence and may not be suitable for sensitive readers. Discretion advised.

Cole, what’s wrong?

Former detective Gavin DeGrassi likes his new life and his job as a university professor, molding the minds of the next generation of law enforcement. It keeps him in the field he loves, but out of the media and out of the danger he seems to draw. He’s settled and happy with his partner and Dom, Ben Haverson.

It’s Myah.

Until a middle of the night phone call from his brother, Cole, whose desperation and fear yank him back into the world of criminals and countdowns. Only this time, the stakes are much higher.

She’s missing.

Detective Myah Hayes, Gavin’s sister-in-law and former partner, has a past of her own, one that has returned to claim her. With only their instincts and the help of a rogue CSI, Gavin, Ben, and Cole will do whatever it takes to find Myah, following a flimsy trail of evidence to Chicago, where all is not what it seems—dirty cops, moral pimps, and a nest of snakes who call themselves businessmen.

They’re on a collision course with the worst of humanity, and more than Myah’s life is caught in the vortex. Can they find her, and if they do, will there be anything left to save?


MY REVIEW:

It started with Power Exchange, then came Safeword (thought to be the end of the series) but no. Through AJ Rose's brilliant mind came Consent. The epic conclusion to one of, if not the most, powerful and thrilling series ever!

Consent takes you on a dark path where the disappearance of Cole's wife, and Gavin's ex-partner thrusts them into a world where nightmares are born, dwell and fester.

AJ Rose writes about a world that is a reality. How love is so strong and yes, evil does win sometimes. But strength of humanity's finest can break through the darkness, grab it by it's throat and wish it never was.

Ben Haverson will go down in history as my favorite male character ever written. In Consent,we see him use WHO HE IS in a fashion we have never seen him do before. It shows us the power he contains and the breathtaking valor he possess. I was gasping!!!

Myah is my hero! Never has a heroin been written is such a way that I have wanted to be a better person because of them. Not until now that is.

We encounter the darkest demons and the brightest saviors in this book. Every emotion you have will be tested throughout this story.

We don't live in a world of fairy tales, not everything is Happily Ever After but AJ Rose is so beyond talented that she has yet again shown me that in the most horrific circumstances, if there is even an ounce of hope, or good to be taken from it, it will be grasped!

OUTSTANDING! Standing ovation!!!


BUY ON AMAZON 
BUY ON B&N 
Nothing Special by A.E Via

Blurb:
Detective Cashel 'Cash' Godfrey is big, tattooed and angry so people typically keep their distance. He's fresh out of the police academy, however, no one is looking to partner with the six foot four beast with a huge chip on his shoulder and an inability to trust. When Cash scans the orientation room he wasn't expecting to find sexy hazel eyes locked onto him. Eyes of the handsome Detective Leonidis 'Leo' Day.

Leo is charming, witty, hilariously sarcastic and the only one that can make Cash smile. He’s proud, out and one bad-ass detective.​

Together Cash and Leo become the most revered and successful narcotics detectives Atlanta’s ever seen. Able to communicate and understand each other, without even having to voice it, they quickly climb up the promotional ranks.

When Cash saves Leo's life in a raid that turns deadly, Leo begins to see something in the big man that no one else does…something special. But Leo fears he'll never break through the impenetrable wall that protects Cash's heart.

Nothing Special takes the reader through various emotions throughout the richly fulfilling plot that’s full of erotic gay romance, heartache, passion, trials and tribulations, police action scenes, and an intriguing twist that comes to an amazing ending that’s impossible to see coming.


MY REVIEW:

After reading Embracing his Syn I HAD to see how Day and God came to be and oh my my my!!! It was awesome! I love them HARD! They are rough and tough and sexy as... well you get where I'm going! A.E Via is a beast with her stories and I adored this high speed full of hot love story!!! READ READ!  

BUY ON AMAZON 
BUY ON B&N 
Red Rose (Blood) by Micheal Kudo

Blurb:
“I don’t like to be called an Assassin, I prefer the term problem solver.”

My name’s Alex. I’m an average guy. I kill people for a living. But don’t judge me.

I don’t take jobs on just anybody though. I only kill the really annoying people, like cheaters or abusers. So if you think about it, I’m actually doing God’s work—okay, maybe that’s stretching things a bit.

Other than the whole committing murder and trying to get away with it thing, my life is simple.

Well… except for the fact I’m in love with a fellow assassin who happens to be my mentor. I also have to make sure I’m careful when I’m on the job because if I ever fail a hit, I’ll be considered a “liability” and be executed promptly. Oh, and there’s a small chance someone in the organization is trying to have me killed. But I’ll figure that out, eventually. Did I mention I’m gay?

Okay, maybe my life isn’t so simple.


  MY REVIEW:
Let's talk about THIS book! First off I'm not saying anything until I express my love for Alex Rose's attitude. He's sarcastic, snarky and down right HILARIOUS! He's an assassin like Patch Adams was a doctor! I loved him! He is so entertaining. I'm excited to read this series just to get more of his witty comebacks!

Next! It's a mystery! I figured out the chunk of it before the end but that in no way took away from the gasp I let out in the end of the book! I want more and I love when a book hooks me. I'm pretty much a prisoner to this series now and will wait impatiently for book 2.


BUY ON AMAZON 
 BUY ON B&N
Starfish and Coffee by Kele Moon

Blurb:
On the island where they first met two lovers from opposite sides of the tracks are reunited. Now jaded and broken, Alex and Matt still can’t deny their sizzling connection or the memories of one perfect, uninhibited year together.

At twenty-two, Matt Tarrington is rich, good-looking and destined to be powerful, but behind that confident exterior lurks a man who resents the life his family thrust upon him. Desperate for an escape, Matt heads to Mirabella Island off the coast of Florida for a year of relaxation and some wild nights with vacationing party-girls.

Matt never expected to find real passion in the arms of Alex Hunter, a handsome, laid-back local.

Alex is gay, but closeted. Matt should be completely off limits, but Alex finds the deeply in denial rich boy too tempting to ignore. Especially when a bet has them working together, fighting the heat in the rundown, beachside cafe where Alex sweats for every dollar.

Their love felt inevitable until youth left them vulnerable to hatred and greed. Now after six years of hating the lies they live, Alex and Matt will have to risk it all for the second chance they both desperately need.


  MY REVIEW:
I love second chance at love books. They are a top favorite to me. It's even better when that book is so amazing you have a book hangover when it's done. I CRIED HARD! It is angsty (Which I love) But Matt and Alex's love has no time limit and that was what made them and this so very special. This is the first Kele Moon book I've read and I can say it's one hell of a way to start!

BUY ON AMAZON

BUY ON B&N 

***Please remember to review books! It not only is great feedback for the author but it helps sales! Reviews push great books to the top and get the word out on well deserving authors*** 

No comments:

Post a Comment