Friday, August 1, 2014

August Top Reads

Another month has come and gone. With August's arrival I have five books I truly believe are fabulous reads! I review on Goodreads and Amazon never on my blog only for spotlights and my Top Reads choices. Every month I pick 5 books I've read that I believe others  MUST check out! When the book was first published means very little to me so you know. Okay without further ado. My choices for August Top Reads...


Splinters by Thorny Sterling:
Blurb:
Waking up in a strange place isn't a first for model and actor Allan Seville, but discovering himself alone and bound to a rough plank in the middle of an open Texas range certainly is. With no memory of who did this to him or why, panic sets in, until rescue comes riding up on a big, brown horse.

There’s more to Duke Walters than a handsome face and sexy drawl. In the arms of this rugged cowboy, Al discovers a peace and safety he never knew he needed, and now doesn't want to be without.

But someone wants Al out of the way and drugging him during a movie junket in Houston is only the beginning. A world of differences may separate this cowboy and diva, but when danger strikes again, Duke might be the only one who can get them out alive



My Review:
There is so much to love about this book! I impatiently awaited the release of Splinters and is was above and beyond what I hoped. Thorny Sterling brought every emotion there is, put it in a pot, stored it, baked it and created a masterpiece. Laughter, tears and gasps were all that came out of me while I read this book. Al and Duke were wrapped around my little finger from the start and the more I read their story the more deeply I fell! This is an outstanding book by an equally outstanding and talented writer.

Buy Link
AMAZON  
B&N 


***

Perfect Imperfections by Cardeno C

Blurb:
Hollywood royalty Jeremy Jameson has lived a sheltered life with music as his sole focus and only friend. Before embarking on yet another international concert tour, he wanders into a bar in what he considers the middle of nowhere and meets a man who wins him over with his friendly smile and easy-going nature. Accountant slash bartender slash adventure-seeker Reg Moore has fun talking and drinking with The Jeremy Jameson and can’t say no when the supposedly straight rock star makes him a once in a lifetime offer: keep him company on his tour by playing the part of his boyfriend.

Listening to music, traveling the world, and jumping off cliffs is fun. Falling in love is even better. But to stay with Jeremy after the stage lights dim, Reg will need to help him realize there’s nothing pretend about their relationship.


My Review:
Such a fantastic book. Read it in one day! I couldn't put it down. It was sweet and funny and just perfect to make me smile. Cardeno C. continues to impress me with her books and this was yet another wonderful one!  

Buy Links:
AMAZON 
B&N 
DSP 

***

All Kinds of Tied Down by Mary Calmes

  
  
Blurb:
Deputy US Marshal Miro Jones has a reputation for being calm and collected under fire. These traits serve him well with his hotshot partner, Ian Doyle, the kind of guy who can start a fight in an empty room. In the past three years of their life-and-death job, they've gone from strangers to professional coworkers to devoted teammates and best friends. Miro’s cultivated blind faith in the man who has his back… faith and something more.

As a marshal and a soldier, Ian’s expected to lead. But the power and control that brings Ian success and fulfillment in the field isn't working anywhere else. Ian’s always resisted all kinds of tied down, but having no home—and no one to come home to—is slowly eating him up inside. Over time, Ian has grudgingly accepted that going anywhere without his partner simply doesn't work. Now Miro just has to convince him that getting tangled up in heartstrings isn't being tied down at all.


My Review:
Mary Calmes has always been a top favorite author of mine. With every new book she write, and I read I am always blown away. This book had me on the edge of seat and falling in love all over again. The Easter egg character pop up gave me pure joy. Mary introduces 2 new character (Who I hope are the beginning of a new series) Miro and Ian are WONDERFUL! Beyond words fabulous. The story is gripping, romantic and wildly entertaining! This is a MUST buy make no plans for the day kind of book!

Buy Links:

DSP 
AMAZON 
B&N 

***

Stories Beneath Our Skin by Veronica Sloane





Blurb:
Tattooing might have once been Liam’s passion, but he left it all behind along with ugly memories when he went to college. When his uncle’s health fails, Liam must come home at last to say his goodbyes. His days are spent at the hospice, leaving his nights to rake over the past. To fill those empty hours, he takes a job at Great Sin Ink. The close knit friendship of the workers there both intrigues and shakes Liam, who has spent the last four years keeping everyone at arm’s length. Neither Deb, the no-nonsense piercer, nor Goose, a manic tattoo artist, will let Liam get away with his isolationist ways for long.

If it were just those two, Liam might have stood a chance -- but there’s also Ace, the owner of Great Sin. He hires Liam despite a thin resume, and that is a kindness Liam can’t forget. The two start up a tentative friendship, learning about each other as the summer days melt into each other. Slowly, Liam reveals a tender heart underneath the wall of quotes he uses to keep everyone out. Unfortunately, life doesn’t stand still, and both Liam and Ace have hard struggles before them that might break them up before they can even get together.


My Review:
I love when I stumble across a book, buy it and by chapter 2 I'm instantly in love! There was so much beauty and understanding in this. So much don't judge a book by it's cover with each character written. Ace and Liam are made for each other in this tale about forgiveness,discovery and love.

Buy Links:
Torquere 
B&N 
AMAZON 

***
Loving Jay by Renae Kaye

   Blurb:
One thing Liam Turner knows for sure is that he's not gay—after all, his father makes it very clear he’ll allow no son of his to be gay. And Liam believes it, until a chance meeting with James “Jay” Bell turns Liam’s world upside-down. Jay is vivacious and unabashedly gay—from the tips of his bleached hair to the ends of his polished nails. With a flair for fashion, overreaction, and an inability to cork his verbal diarrhea, Liam believes drama queen Jay must have a screw loose.

An accident as a teenager left Liam with a limp and a fear of driving. He can’t play football anymore either, and that makes him feel like less of a man. But that’s no reason to question his sexuality... unless the accident broke something else inside him. When being with Jay causes Liam’s protective instincts to emerge, Liam starts to believe all he knew in life had been a convenient excuse to stay hidden. From intolerance to confrontations, Liam must learn to overcome his fears—and his father—before he can accept his sexuality and truly love Jay.


My Review:
This book could have been twice as long and I still wouldn't have tired of it. I loved it soooooo much! It was a breath of fresh air. Jay was delightful, funny and the perfect diva! Liam *sigh* sweet, protective so in love with Jay, Liam! I adored him. I read a lot of books of all genre's and with all sorts of plot. I was deep in a dramatic, moody all consuming book and was desperate to just feel and enjoy something. This book was PERFECT and on top of it I became consumed anyway and I wish I could do it all over again

Buy Links:
DSP 
B&N 
AMAZON 

   


6 comments:

  1. Great book picks! I have read 3 of the 5 and the other 2 are waiting for me on my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well whatever 2 you have waiting I doubt disappointment!!! Amazing books!

      Delete
  2. I own the first and have read Perfect Imperfections. Now I'll have to take a further look at the other three. I could really do with more hours in my days and more days in my week. Thanks for the heads-up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recs! A few more to add to the ever growing lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. My list is loooooooooooong

      Delete